Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What they say

I started a new job on Monday at a school for kids with special needs. The kids are all 14 and 15 with various cognitive issues, learning disabilities, and behavior problems (as well as raging hormones). They are pretty great, though, and I'm really enjoying my job so far. I thought it would be fun to post some of the funny comments that they have made to me and will keep posting the higlights as time goes on.

Upon hearing that I don't have a TV, one of my students was flabbergasted. As he was leaving the class on Thursday he said, "Claire, it is SO EMBARASSING that you don't have a TV." He can't fathom what one would do at home without a TV.

ANother student, waxing philosophical on his classmates, who were doing some hard core flirting in the corner and mooning over Zac Efron, star of High School Musical 1 & 2 said with a big sigh and with much longing (because he too would love to have a girlfriend), "These guys...no matter how young they are, they always want to find love." I had to really concentrate to keep from cracking up. He was SO serious. I think I said something like, "Well, I think that EVERYONE wants to be loved."

Anyway, it's a great experience and something I'm really enjoying so hopefully things will continue to go well!

No comments: