Thursday, September 17, 2009

Magpie poem

Today I learned that it is bad luck to see a Magpie on it's own. To remember this (and what your fate is according to the magpies), there is this poem:

One for sorrow
two for joy
three for a girl
four for a boy
five for silver
six for gold
seven for a secret never to be told
eight for a wish
nine for a kiss
ten for a time of joyous bliss.

I like that better than the old 'it's bad luck to look away from a vulture before it flaps it's wings' tale. Also, I just want to note that I'm not sure if it's bad luck to kill spiders in England or not, but just to be on the safe side I have been vacuuming them up with the idea that they will set up house in the vacuum cleaner bag (without their legs, Jim says) and it doesn't really count as killing because I have good intentions and they are now happily living in the vacuum cleaner (in theory).

1 comment:

Mike Reilly said...

without their legs. that line cracked me up.
this is jess, btw