Saturday, June 02, 2007

On smart cars and commuting

Today, as I left work and headed out on my walk home, my co-worker and I discussed the probability of getting run over by a crazed London driver (high) and the respect we have for cities that don't allow people to drive in the center.

I've decided that, along with it's environmental merits, the smart car would be my choice of car in a pedestrian/car collision. I guess a scooter would be ok, too. But, mostly likely, if I get run over in London it's going to be by a black cab. They do stop when they have to (like at cross walks and stop signs), but the rest of the time they are getting where they are going and nothing is going to stop them. Especially not a pedestrian.

Me vs. the Smart Car. Who would win?


There are good points to a three mile each way pedestrian commute, though. Today some of my highlights were:
-2 paddle boats full of women in burkas, racing and laughing hysterically
-4 men in suits, shoes off, kicking a football in the park
-6 little geese following their Mom and being corralled by their Dad when they got out of line.

And we've been married 3 years today. That's the biggest highlight of them all!

No comments: