Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pizza and Little Venice (and Ikea)

This weekend was a pretty mellow weekend and we forgot to take the camera, so all the pictures on this blog were taken by someone else.

On Friday, we went over to Meg and Dan's for homemade pizza and The History Boys. I almost fell asleep, but the movie was actually very good and the pizza was delicious.

Saturday, we explored several new parts of town. I was running the other day and discovered that we have an awesome, if small, park near us: Queen's Park. So Jim and I took a stroll to another part of our neck of the woods. Queen's Park is definitely a family place, with lots of kids and their parents running around everywhere. They also have pitch and putt and tennis courts. If we ever find our rackets/get new ones, we will go play there.

Saturday night, Jim took me on a date to Little Venice, which is also not far from where we live. I've never been to the real Venice, but Little Venice in London defintely reminds me of Amsterdam with its canals and houseboats. We started the evening off in a funky bar near the canals and then walked down to a place called Riverfront (or something like that), where we had dinner. It was actually quite the meat market and we were wedged in at a small table on the edge of all the action. Despite the fact that most of the people there were about our age, we felt very old. I guess it's because we are just so mature. Little Venice was fun, though, even though we weren't part of the "scene."

Here is a picture of Little Venice, which I did not take:


One thing that was very interesting is that once you got along the canal a ways, it became a private drive. And that was where all the fancy schmancy houseboats were. Some looked like floating trailers and some were very ornate. Houseboat culture is something I know nothing about, but it seems kind of bohemian and romantic. And I bet it's a lot cheaper than living in a flat around here.

And finally, today we went to Ikea. I don't really need to go into what Ikea was like because now I know that Ikea is Ikea no matter where in the world you are.

Hopefully we'll have more exciting things to post next time!

No comments: